Wolf Hunting near Rainy River / Lake of the Woods


The Timber Wolf is the most elusive big game animal in Ontario and can be extremely challenging to hunt. Wolves typically live, hunt and travel in packs of related family members. There is usually only one breeding pair within the pack, often termed the Alpha Pair. If there is plenty of prey, there may be two litters.

Wolves howl for many reasons; to tell other pack members where they are, to encourage "team spirit" before and after a hunt, and also to warn other packs of their presence.

Late Fall and Winter is the best time for wolf hunting as the wolves have their thick winter fur which would be "prime". Fur colors can be varied from white to brown to black. The wolves in Ontario can get quite large with alpha males exceeding well over 100 pounds.

We do not offer a hunt specific to wolf. We do offer a combination Whitetail Deer & Wolf hunt which is basically the first two weeks of November. With no extra charges, Hunters just need to buy the proper licenses with wolf tag and can harvest a wolf if the opportunity arises while out Deer Hunting.

To the right is Eric with his Timber Wolf, which was harvested during a combination deer & wolf hunt. The wolf he harvested was mainly white coloring with the top of the back and tail in brown. White wolves are not the typical coloring for a Timber Wolf.

To the left Chris with his buck and wolf, which were harvested on his combination deer / wolf hunt.

Firearms & Ammunition

You may bring hunting rifles or shotguns into Ontario for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older.
You are allowed 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition.
Archery equipment may be brought across the border at no charge. You do not have to register them, however, you do have to mention that you are bringing them across.
All fully automatic weapons and handguns are prohibited.

Please click here to download .pdf reader

Canadian Firearms Declaration Form:

You will be required to fill out a temporary gun permit (Firearm Declaration Form & Continuation Sheet) to bring firearms into Canada. The fee is $25 payable at the border crossing.

Please Note: Do not sign your declaration form until the customs agent asks you to. All forms need to filled out in triplicate and complete.

Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Forms & Continuation Sheet are available by emailing cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca, or by calling 1-800-731-4000 (Canada and U.S.) or 1-506-624-5380 (other countries) and from all Customs offices across Canada. Visit the RCMP web site for more information

Download Non-Resident Canadian Firearm Declaration Form (Adobe .pdf)

Download Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (Adobe .pdf)

Buy a Fishing License and Outdoor Card on-line here
Buy a Hunting License and Outdoor Card on-line here

Ontario Fishing Regulations Page
Ontario Hunting Regulations Page

Should you have any general questions pertaining to the hunting regulations summary please contact the Natural Resource Information Centre at 1-800-667-1940 or by emailing mnr.nric.mnr@ontario.ca

Helpful Border Crossing Information Sites
US State Department
US / Canada Border Crossing

Criminal Record ???
We suggest you communicate with a Canadian Immigration office prior to your planned trip if you have a criminal record.